[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Feb 18 07:30:10 PST 2011

On 02/18/2011 09:56 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2011/2/18 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch <mailto:ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>>
>
>     hi jon,
>

>             after having read
>
>             http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.php?article_id=28
>
>             and
>
>             http://www.chromecode.com/2011/02/why-gimp-28-is-not-released-yet.html
>
>             i wonder if at the next LGM we should not propose a pannel /
>             workshop where
>             we can discuss / present strategies for attracting new
>             developers in the
>             libre graphics.
>
>             what do you think about it?
>

>         Good initiative. However, I think that "attracting new devs" is
>         a bit
>         to narrow an approach. A project can have new people stop by every
>         week and still not be productive. I'm thinking something along the
>         lines of "How to keep and make productive libre graphics projects?".
>         Having a steady inflow of new developers is part of that, but just a
>         means to an end in my book.
>

>     yep, "getting new developers involved" may be a better title...
>
>     just to be clear: it's not mostly about a marketing strategy, but
>     rather about structures and processes that can help new developers
>     getting involved.
>
>     one point is indeed getting (potential) developers to feel attracted
>     by our projects (attracting them...) but, i agree with jon that the
>     harder part is about getting their contribution in the projects!
>

> +1
>
> I think it is a great idea. I am not sure if a panel serves the idea
> better than a talk or a workshop but the idea is great ! It's a topic
> for LGM. A lot of people don't even thing they could be of great help to
> projects. Coding is one, but features have to be carefully sketched
> before we actually code. Unless the coders know the field perfectly (and
> even if they do), they need the input from the users.

One thing to keep in mind is this would be more of a session about how
to attract devs speaking to those already involved, not that this isn't
worth discussing. Perhaps some feedback by those already involved about
why would anyone in their right mind do this? How does one anticipate
and answer the "What's in it for me" questions?

There might be the related discussion about increasing cross-project
collaboration between projects.

Greg