[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Feb 20 04:57:21 PST 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011, Yuval Levy wrote:
> On February 19, 2011 06:49:40 am Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Krita is one of the few libre graphics projects that
> > doesn't really have a dearth of developers. I'm sometimes worried about
> > the churn, and about the way my day job interferes these days, but getting
> > new people doing cool stuff hasn't been a real problem for us since ~2003.
>
> do you have statistics/ideas where they come from?

Well, not really any accurate statistics. But most seem to come from Google Summer of Code -- and I do not like that one bit. The reason for that is that I've had a couple of interested people coming to me who thought that participating in gsoc was a precondition for being allowed to work on Krita. If that idea spreads, the consequences are pretty bad. Fortunately, KDE has anticipated this, somewhat, by creating the KDE Season of Code, which doesn't do money.

Most active contributors are students; I used to have lots of time because I had a long commute by train, but since I've started working from home, and since my job has become a seven-day-a-week job, that's gone downhill.

We are actively trying to make krita an attractive project by being open, welcoming and even accepting code that isn't totally mature or perfect yet. If it's cool, it can go in, and then we can work together on fixing what needs fixing.

Artists using Krita are an important part of what I consider our team: any artist who joins us and gives us feedback is made very welcome.

> For the past four years Hugin had an good flow of contributors - developers,
> builders, translators, documenters, designers.

documenters is a problem -- and that is purely my fault. I've tried to write the manual on my own, but I don't have time.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org