[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Feb 20 18:17:16 PST 2011

On 02/20/2011 01:20 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> salut louis
>
>>> One hopes that it can progress in tandem with the code, by
>>> necessity a bit behind cutting-edge features
>>
>> Actually, shouldn't that be the way around? Documenting is thinking.
>> We can look at this from two ends. Case #1 The program exists and it
>> is (partially) or (not well) documented, hence the necessity to
>> explain afterwards — and this comes naturally, yes, behind. Case #2
>> We can think of a more integrated way of doing things where any idea
>> or feature or enhancement that makes it into the application is first
>> well-thought of, defined, described, thus truly documented before it
>> is actually coded.
> this is exactly what i thought while reading greg's words :-)
>
> not easy to do, but an idea worth to be seriously considered!
I like the concept, but it's hard to get a sense of where things are
going. I think it's a matter of having something like a personal RSS
feed from the devs to know what's going on.

All fodder for discussion at LGM. Certainly we need to get out of the
dark ages of documentation as an afterthought.

Greg