[CREATE] LGM2011 Launch Timings + pledgie drive

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Mon Feb 21 12:09:43 PST 2011

Great thread, awesome ideas! I like the theme for the conference
LGM2020 :) hahaha or LGMFUTUREZ. Can the ideas in this thread be
distilled onto the wiki by the weekend?

March 1 is coming up. Femke, you are leading the panels right? I'll take one on.

Nathan, can you help us craft some press for March 1? Messaging:
future of libre graphics is in y(our) hands, pledgie drive, and call
for participation

http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference#Press

Eric, and I, we are pulling together the fundraiser to launch on that
date as well.

Louis, how is the timeline?

http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/6th_Libre_Graphics_Meeting_Montreal_2011#Timeline

Cool?

Jon

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Femke Snelting
<snelting at collectifs.net> wrote:

>>> +1
>>> I would emphasize _well-prepared_. Better to have only one or just a
>>> few as long as they can be "guaranteed" (disclaimer: nothing can be
>>> guaranteed) to be top-notch. Keep the audience in mind.
>>>
>> I think "keeping the audience in mind" means if we can only come up with
>> one or two topics worthy of panel discussion, we don't set up multiple
>> panels just 'cause we can....  So are there concepts we can nail down?
>> If so, I'd suggest we want to get those in order *before* opening up the
>> call for individual submissions....
>
> For a 2nd panel I propose we discuss artist-developer collaborations: what
> drives people with different interests in the same Libre Graphics software,
> to productively work together?
>
> It relates to the recent post by Alexandre Prokoudine: Contributing to free
> software projects (a must-read: "How can I help a free software project, if
> I don’t code"
> http://prokoudine.info/blog/2011/02/contributing-to-free-software-projects)
> and also to LGM itself (Nathan Willis in response to LGM 2010: "LGM has
> always placed more of an emphasis on connecting users and developers than
> other open source conferences, but this year the difference that emphasis
> made was more noticeable. It was not perfect; several artists and designers
> mentioned informally that they would liked to have had more direct
> discussions with the development teams about the future of the projects, but
> did not find the opportunity." http://lwn.net/Articles/390572).
>
> Maybe Mushon Zer Aviv could be someone to invite to the table... He is a
> 'designer, an educator and a media activist based in NY & Tel Aviv' and has
> written and lectured extensively about Open Source Design. I don't always
> agree but think his perspective is interesting for LGM ("Successful
> open-source projects have always benefited from a mix of the two approaches,
> a combination of openness and leadership. Finding a similarly nuanced
> approach in other fields is required if we ever hope to extend the
> open-source model beyond code."
> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/09/01/the-case-for-open-source-design-can-design-by-committee-work
> -- might help us understand why the recent Ubuntu re-design was outsourced
> to a non-libre agency using proprietary tools?).
>
> Also we need an occasion to talk about why and how Scribus-developers are
> currently re-coding the properties panel in order to facilitate
> contributions by new types of contributors, and maybe why designers happy to
> contribute to F/LOSS, don't like contests ;-)
>
> Femke
>

> P.S.: ginger proposed a panel on "Exchanging workflows between F/LOSS and
> artists". It's obviously linked (Mushon might actually be better suited for
> that) so we need to figure out if there is not too much overlap and
> subsequently merge or re-articulate.

Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)