[CREATE] PANTONE COLOR MANAGER

Hin-Tak Leung hintak at ghostscript.com
Thu Feb 24 11:23:43 PST 2011

--- On Thu, 24/2/11, Tobias Jakobs <tobias.jakobs at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: Tobias Jakobs <tobias.jakobs at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CREATE] PANTONE COLOR MANAGER
> To: olivier.berten at gmail.com
> Cc: CREATE at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Thursday, 24 February, 2011, 14:32
> Hi,
>
> I've looked into it and:
> 1. The download is ~100MB (exe file)
> 2. You need an license key to use this Software, it's not
> freeware or
> open source or something like this.
> 3. You are not aloud to use any of the date. From the
> EULA:
> Restrictions.  In addition to other restrictions set
> forth in this
> Agreement, You may not (a) use, copy, modify or distribute
> the
> Software (electronically or otherwise) or any copy,
> adaptation,
> transcription or merged portion thereof except as expressly
> authorized
> under this Agreement; (b) use the Software for the benefit
> of third
> parties in a commercial, retail, service bureau or similar
> enterprise,
> except as permitted under this Agreement; (c) reverse
> assemble,
> reverse compile or decompile the Software or otherwise
> examine the
> Software for purposes of reverse engineering; or (d)
> distribute any
> serial number supplied to you by Pantone, except as a
> permanent
> transfer of single copy of the Software in its registered,
> fully
> functional mode to one new owner, as provided in this
> Agreement.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but I think, we should not use this
> data.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias

Hmm, I am not advocating software pir*cy, etc, but in some countries, and some parties argue about the validity of EULA's, especially one which appears during the installation "click-through" procedure. I don't follow these arguments much since I use/depend on very few commercial/proprietary software anyway, (and those open-source ones I do, I tend to sign up for the dev and fix bugs/etc from time to time).

In one rather interesting situation, the installer of one software becames installable without the key/EULA-click-through if the installer crashes at a particular moment. Well, the story goes, the first time it crashes it happens accidentally because the installer simply doesn't work very well under wine (wine's fault/bug)... now if you manage to install without ever clicking the EULA, is the EULA valid? Well, the EULA says no reverse-engineer, etc, but that's if you agree with that... if you don't agree with that in the first place, and you never click the EULA button (kind of a chicken & egg situation) or actually saw the button at all, does it count?

As I said up front, I am *not* advocating any unlawful activities - but an EULA button - if you never click that button or even saw the EULA and yet managed to proceed, is that enforceable?