[CREATE] Access to LGM website

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Mar 20 14:32:59 PDT 2011

ciao yuval,

> On March 18, 2011 07:57:25 pm a.l.e wrote:
> > the content is managed in a wiki form and is stored in a database.
>
> the source control architecture would not back up the database
> itself, only the code to generate it and access it.  however you
> don't need SSH to access a wiki/database from the html front end?
>

> > the access to the server is only need to modify the forms and the
> > templates.
>
> for forms and templates it would work.  i have set up recently a
> mercurial over https configuration.  it boils down to adding users in
> the .htaccess file, no SSH access required (which I understand is
> what you are wary about?).
>

> > personally, i haven't yet used mercurial yet (nor git; i still
> > normally use svn, which is not ok to publish a website).
>
> Why do you state that SVN is not OK to publish a website?  Hugin
> moved to Mercurial only a year ago.  Prior to that it was in SVN.
> The website too. And it worked well.

it's not really practical to put a svn check out on a webserver: it's polluted with .svn directories...

> > let's see how we will manage the site next year... i think that we
> > will give up with anwiki. mercurial could then be a way to manage
> > it!
>
> I don't know the site's architecture.  I do know that before giving
> up a tool I would want to have a comprehensive look at what works and
> what not, and make sure that the change of tool is not just for the
> sake of changing tool.

we are changing now for drupal.

the new site will be up as soon as possible.

i hope we won't have to change again next year!

not sure if it's worth to put a drupal instance in a revision system... we will see.

ciao
a.l.e