[CREATE] Access to LGM website

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 05:24:41 PDT 2011

2011/3/21 Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>

>  On 3/21/11 11:28 AM, Camille Bissuel wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm certainly not an authority in this field, but willing to change our
> tools (SVN, mercurial, Drupal or whatever), a few weeks before the event is
> not really a bright idea in my point of view.
>
> We already spent weeks doing the actual LGM2011 website, and even if it's
> not prefect, it do the job. In the best scenario , trying to restart
> everything again now will only conduct to a beta quality website two weeks
> before the event.
>
> Furthermore, using a revision control system is not ideal because it
> increase complexity, and forbid quick testing in the production environment
> (it's easy to make a typo mistake in a javascript file for example). Drupal
> is a good CMS, but we will need time to set it up fully, so it will be wiser
> to use it for next year.
>
> Said simply, as already said by a number fo people here, let's focus on
> next tasks instead of re-doing the same ones again and again.
>
> Cheers,
> Camille
>

> Well said.. don't change now.. develop what is there and make it right for
> 2011. You all liked it for 2010, 9 weeks is no time at all.
>
> Having said that though, you should not be doing testing in production, you
> should have a test environment for that! Using any revision control system
> could simply allow a checkout of a release version into prod. Adding a CMS
> on top complicates that, although a database dump from test to prod and a
> checkout should generally cover it.
>
> Craig

:)

OK.

I thank everyone with their advice but (no hard feelings) this is what I
would call back-seat driving and here is why :

The actual website with all its content *is incomplete as of today* and very
late on schedule despite the fact that most of the info herein is the same
as in 2009 for the venue and mostly the same as in 2010 for most of the rest
of the information.

I have asked during last fall that the site points to 2011 instead of 2010
but it took nonetheless months to get that.

On January 6 I rang the bell again offering local help for the website and
got answered that everything was under control.

In February — on schedule and in sync with all past years — we have come up
with a draft Press Release and started to activate the Pledgie campaign.

We targeted beginning of March and extended this towards a couple week-ends
later, sometimes around March 10.

On March 7 I have sent the logo of a new sponsor: it is still not on the
website 14 days later.

Meanwhile the website was still not easily updatable by the very few people
who should be able to do this — including myself and rejon and a few others
(very few people in fact). Access to edit simple links was not allowed or
counterintuitive and parts of the pages were broken. So we thought, yes,
that the tool we use for the site is not the right tool, no matter if it
worked well or not last year.

The actual switch to Drupal is something that was very rapidly discussed on
IRC and agreed upon as quickly. It is supposed to be done within a day or
two, with a proven tool that the community knows perfectly. Help if anything
goes wrong will always be available on all time zones.

Things have to be done and they have to be done quickly.

We'll have plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of doing such and
such change in the post-mortem.

* * * Back to the original thread * * *

My main point was and still is today that we need the full access to the
website so we can update the info as soon as it needs to be updated. This
cannot suffer any further delay.

We need a form so people can register and this form has to be updated to
reflect the reality of 2011. We do have a form. Let's update it and put it
on the server.

NEW 2011 - We need a form so people can submit talk and so we can use the
data downstream and organise it the way we want. For this the wiki is not
sufficient.

We need a banner on each LGM projecs website (at least) and for whoever
wants to use it.

We need statistics.

And we need to have all the positive energy going into this.

There are other things not listed here that will be all facilitated once we
have this site up and running with all the functionalities we need.

Thanks to all giving a hand !

Louis