[CREATE] LGM: Native GTK OS X ?

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Fri May 6 13:53:39 PDT 2011

At the LGM, here’s something I would be interested in if the different developers of projects could get together and talk about: how can you all help to make the OSX GTK port as good as possible? Right now Gimp and Inkscape are not using the native port of GTK, but the X11 version. What are the bottlenecks? How can they be solved?

gEdit now ships with native GTK. Of course, it’s a much more simple program.
A larger program that implements the native GTK port is Ardour, a digital audio workstation. It’s pretty nifty!
Both also make use of native OS X shortcuts and the OS X menu bar.
These really are essential. To make Inkscape accessible, for example, I should be able to do command - c from the beginning…

I know that developing for OS X can feel off from a FLOSS perspective, since apple’s business tactics are very far from floss ideals. But at the same time, if reaching design professionals is important, than developing for the Mac is crucial…

Anyone interested in doing a little birds of a feather meeting on this?

Cheers,

Eric