[CREATE] Blur Benchmarking: Synfig, Inkscape, Gimp, Anime Studio

Jasper van de Gronde th.v.d.gronde at hccnet.nl
Sat Oct 22 15:06:49 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-22 13:12, Carlos López González wrote:
> Hi!
> I've been playing a bit with Blurs on some 2D raster and vector
> applications and I would like to share some results with you.
> After the tests I wonder if it is interesting to Gimp and Inkscape
> people to improve the blurs methods to get closer to Synfig's methods.
Short answer: no. Inkscape is bound by what SVG specifies, and we
currently follow the specification, so changing our blur significantly
would be a regression. I'm not entirely sure what synfig does (I've had
a look at the code and I'm not entirely sure why it's so visibly
different), but I'm afraid that we cannot adopt it (entirely), even if
we would agree that it's better in a subjective sense.

One of the differences might be the color space used for the filter (and
blending), and this you can change in SVG using the color-interpolation
attributes. These are unfortunately not supported in Inkscape, but I
think most browsers do support it (not 100% sure).