[CREATE] libmspub (WAS: Sample files from older programs for those who would like to re-engineer)

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Jul 29 23:18:41 PDT 2012

hi alexandre,

> The question is who is going to implement support for them.
> I've yet to see Scribus team rushing to reuse libmspub.

personally, i would not rush either to implement old formats with
archaeological value...

the publisher format is indeed far more interesting...

depending on how well the publisher importer works, i could try to
find somebody willing to implement the scribus part for it...

still, i don't really see many chances that somebody from the team will
do it before the 1.6 release. so, we will have to look for "new" (or
returning) developers.

but libmspub seems to still be at the 0.0.0 release... this does not
really send out the signal that projects other than oo/lo should use
it...

two final questions from my side:

- how good do you think could be the quality of the import through
  libmspub library in scribus? which elements will exactly match? which
  will be just there? (text, images, word arts, ...)? which won't be
  there?
  what will the reaction of the user after having imported they're real
  world files into scribus and wanting to continue their work in
  scribus? do you have some test results with libre/open-office to
  give an idea? (screenshot of the original,
  screenshot of the imported file, imported file)

- how much work do you think it will take to integrate it? hours?
  weeks? months? do you have an idea?

have a nice day
a.l.e