[CREATE] Status of ORA animation draft

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Sun Mar 25 12:17:22 PDT 2012

2012/3/25 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>:
>> Personally I don't really think of OpenRaster as an animation format,
>> but if it can be made to work as one in a way that's compatible with
>> static image editors (ideally in a way that doesn't break when edited by
>> a static image editor (good luck[1]!)), why not?  I think in order to
>> keep the formal, baseline part of the spec nice and light, animation
>> would have to be an extension - though possibly a very standard
>> extension if it's well specified, would work with more than one app, and
>> seems sound to a consensus of animators.

Before OpenRaster was even thought of I was working on a format for a
video editor that included animation, this format served as the
inspiration for the XML I used in GEGL which in turn provided one of
the bases of experience that OpenRaster is built on. The original
format I refer to I called oxide and it is documented here
http://codecave.org/oxide/ not sure if it really has that much to do
with OpenRaster but it can serve as inspiration for something else.
Note that the interpolation methods for the time/value keyframed
property animation was also possible to specify.

/Ø