[CREATE] Linear light workflow

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 29 08:23:41 PDT 2012

On Thursday 29 March 2012 Mar, David Gowers (kampu) wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Andrew Chadwick <a.t.chadwick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is drifting a little far away from a discussion of compositing op
> > gamma, but just to remark that colourspaces can already be
> > encapsulated in each individual PNG layer graphic, and should probably
> > be used for conversion into whatever internal working space is used by
> > the program if they're specified. If you add another top-level
> > profile, you'd have to define which one takes precedence for a given
> > layer PNG...
>
> The requirement for an ORA supporting app to be able to do colorspace
> management seems a bit heavyweight. If any profile is included, IMO
> requiring all images to be in that colorspace will head off some
> complexity issues.

Well... I'm not sure I agree here. I'd say that the ability to use profiles and convert from rgb data with a known profile to the apps internal representation is a good thing, simple to achieve and would make life for artists easier. And similar, actually, for using the monitor profile.

Without that, I'm not sure that we'll ever be able to render an image the same in Krita and in MyPaint, which sucks for artists who go back and forth.

--
Boudewijn Rempt