[CREATE] PDF and Pantone

Ricardo Lafuente bollecs at sollec.org
Thu Oct 4 03:44:22 PDT 2012

Hi Jakub,

On 10/04/2012 08:13 AM, Jakub Jankiewicz wrote:
> I read about Pantone on Wikipedia and it's say that Free Software don't
> support it, is there a hack that will allow to prepare pdf with pantone
> inside?

I'm not a developer but had some experience with doing professional
print stuff with F/LOSS.

 From what I grok of the subject, Pantone values in documents are just
indications for the printer, and are used as a visual approximation of
the final printed colour. This visual approximation will most surely not
be accurate (if a screen isn't properly calibrated) or even possible
(think metallic tones). This is why you have to check the colour
manufacturer's swatch books to see what it will look like in print.

And since the Pantone value is just a reference, you can always tell the
printer to change a certain colour, since that's done physically and not
through software (at Portuguese printers at least). Roughly simplifying
the issue, using the Pantone value in your document corresponds to
including a text file specifying the type of paper you want it printed
in -- the printer can follow these instructions, but it's not really
tied to your document.

So the only thing necessary for using Pantone or any other colour
manufacturer's reference values is for your software tool to support
spot colours. Scribus does.

And even if it doesn't fully support spot colours (like Inkscape, IIRC),
one can simply create separate layers, one for each spot colour that
you're using. Then just tell the printer which is which.

Finally, if you're missing the on-screen Pantone previews, you should
definitely check out Swatchbooker.

Feel free to correct me if anything I said isn't right!

:r