[CREATE] LGM-organiser meet in Madrid, today 18:00

Lila Pagola lilapagola at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 04:22:13 PDT 2013

Hi everybody,

First of all I want to apologize because I couldn't be present yesterday in
this meeting, and I was very tired at the closing session for sharing some
ideas.

So, a little of context, regarding the effects of the idea of hosting the
next LGM in some country of Latin America, which emerged several times in
the closing session.
I live in Argentina, and I'm a member of several organizations of free
culture of the country: Creative Commons Argentina, Wikimedia Argentina,
Fundaciòn Vía Libre, and of course, of the community of gràfica libre
http://www.graficalibre.org/, where actually is a kind of "discussion"
around this nice possibility of hosting LGM in the future.

Beyond I would love the LGM 2014 or 2015 be in Argentina, I want to share
some previous experiences, since I think could be useful to this and next
similar processes of deciding the next LGMs.

This is my second LGM, and it was an absolutely a great one. My first one
was 2010, in Brussels, also a great one, and I want to thank organizers for
these experiences.

>From the closing session, I have a strong sensation of "deja vu", regarding
the problems and expectations that emerged, and specially about this way of
trying of deciding the next place for LGM "on the fly", during the closing
session.

I would like to share some ideas and experiences of other free culture
organizations I participate in, and again, I'm sorry I could'nt do it
yesterday "alive".

First case: Wikimania, the annual international meeting of wikipedian
people of the world, an event gathering more than 700 people. The hosting
country of the next Wikimania is decided trough a "bid" ot the different
teams interested, on a basis of support and funding granted by Wikimedia
Foundation. Argentina for instance, hosted Wikimania in 2009.

Here more info: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2014_bids

Second case: the Creative Commons Summit. Also the annual meeting of CC
chapters of the world, this year will be hosted also in Buenos Aires, in
next August. The procedure for deciding the hosting country is similar to
Wikimania, through bids also, and with a basis of funding granted for any
hosting country, through the Creative Commons NGO.

So, I closely know how much work implies organizing such an event, and I
consider it's not a good idea to offer your country while the emotion of a
great LGM is still on the body :)

I can give more details on this procedures if somebody wants to know more,
or even we can ask for a formal advice of Wikimedia Foundation or Creative
Commons people, in order to learn from their experiences.

So, my opinion is LGM have grown a lot and should evolutionate to a new
stage, with a formal organization such as a Foundation or similar, for
getting and managing funding in a transparent and formal way, and then
"move" this funds where we think is more strategic to be present, as could
be the case of many countries of Latin America or Asia.

Sorry for the long email, and I look for your comments.
Saludos,