[CREATE] [Gimp-developer] Brushpack file format

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 16 04:49:21 PDT 2013

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, Alexia Death wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       Brushpacks should not be mixed: so no mypaint brushes and gimp brushes in one brushpack.
>

> Why this restriction

To make life easier for users. We discussed this a lot, but creating a
brush pack that contains, for instance, both Krita and MyPaint brushes
wasn't seen as desirable.

> and why different internal formats

I'm not getting this question -- the formats are there because that's how
applications define their brushes. Mypaint's .myb format is different from
Krita's .kpp and Gimp's .gdyn.

>  and why such a complicated create folder format?

Hm... What do you consider the complications? Basically, it's just the
equivalent of the way the create spec stores patterns, brushes, gradients
etc. in separate directories, extended to allow new brush types that are
not in create, like kpp, myb etc.

> It would
> be very simple to have a pack& create forder structure that allows for both mixed packets and for each app only
> handle what it can/need...
>
> something along the lines of:
> /manifest.xml
> /coolpack-cutes/tags.xml
> /coolpack-cutes/shared/* - resources in common formats - svg, png, gif, whatever, as long as the format isnt app
> specific, pehaps subfoolders by resource intended use...

I'm not really seeing right away the improvement that adding a "shared"
directory level gives above having the common resources in their already
defined create directory names.

> /coolpack-cutes/mypaint/* -stuff in mypaint format, acceptable to mypaint and dictated by mypaint
> /coolpack-cutes/gimp/* - stuff in gimp format, following gimp resource structure, subfolders for brushes,
> dynamics, etc
> /coolpack-cutes/krita/*- stuff in krita format that only krita can understand
>
> and same structure in create/ resource folder.
>
> So, if  gimp starts supporting mypaint, all it needs to do, is dig into shared mypaint resources in create. Same
> goes for krita and for say mypaint getting a brush engine that lets it read gimp resources...

If I get you correctly, you'd prefer to copy a gradient or pattern that is
used by a brush into the create-defined location for gradients or
patterns? We decided against that because those gradients or patterns (or
even the brush tips themselves) are only packaged because they belong to a
particular brush and shouldn't be automatically made available as a shared
gradient or pattern.

Boudewijn