[CREATE] CIE L*a*b* and CIE HLC colour palettes created by dtp studio available for free download

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Thu Aug 8 23:07:44 PDT 2013

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 07. August 2013 um 09:18 Uhr
> Von: "Richard Hughes" <hughsient at gmail.com>
> An: "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: Re: [CREATE] CIE L*a*b* and CIE HLC colour palettes created by dtp studio available for free download
>
> On 7 August 2013 08:56, "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > The colour palettes are freely distributable
>
> In colord we need an explicit licence that the profiles are shipped
> with. For most of the existing profiles the licence is CC0 (basically
> public domain) and from the Licence file in the it kinda suggests
> public domain, but I'm wondering if any of the names are copyrighted.
> Or perhaps I misunderstand the point of the colour palette; for named
> color profiles we want to be able to say "This Lab color is called
> Magic Blue 275" kinda like Pantone colors.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm still not sure what you are after. You can use the freely distributable dtp studio palettes, or Pantone, RAL, NCS, whatever, to create colour profiles, which are either device profiles or device-independent profiles (i.e., standards that enable device users to calibrate their devices to).

I may be wrong, but my impression is that you are somehow confusing ICC profiles and standardised colour sets/palettes.

CIE L*a*b* is a public standard, and you certainly don't need the dtp studio files to create either an ICC profile or a new standardised colour set. The dtp studio files comprise colour sets already adjusted for certain output targets (via an ICC profile!), and the colour names  consist of colour values only.

Best,

Christoph