[CREATE] How to animate hand-drawings? (Fw: animation)

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 03:10:18 PST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak at ghostscript.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone - A friend of mine is curious about how an animation is done - it looks
> almost like a series of hand-drawings, but I am sure there are ways of
> automating via some computer-assisted technology while preserving
> the "old fashioned" feel with the jitter, etc. So how is this done?

This is rotoscoping animation. Basically you draw over actual footage
(with actors), frame after frame. Of course you are not forced to draw
perfectly (otherwise just use the original if that's to do the exact
same! :p), animators would add some wibbly feeling to their strokes
for instance to get what you call (I guess) the "old fashioned" style,
and you can add animation effects.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

With some shape detection technics, there is obviously ways to
automatize this kind of things. Now programs are able to extract quite
easily some foreground images with a little human help. Also some
image filters in various programs are likely to provide similar
feeling from photos. Now I would guess that you would still need
animators to check each and every frame for detection of stroke bugs,
unless you have all your actors in black on white backgrounds or if
you use some motion detection sensors, or something. But is it still
rotoscoping then? I imagine the best rotoscoping works are made
entirely (or mostly) by hand.

Hop some self-promotion of another rotoscoping animation:
http://youtu.be/VdoreQ1_oJs

Bye!

Jehan