[CREATE] Code of Conduct

María Leandro tatadbb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:26:57 PDT 2014

Hello all.

Just trying to help here, so if my comment raise any susceptibility please
forgive me.

As someone who lives in a "region" where a CoC is completely useless, and
someone who has been sexually harassed at different conferences, I must
agree that there are different types of harassment, and actions to take at
each case must be defined.

* Was it a verbal attack?
* Was it a violent attack?
* Was a sexual attack?

In my experience, I was taking an "innocent lift"on an elevator with a
friend who had more drinks than he should, who not only tried to kiss me,
but also lift me, put me against the wall and tried to undress me... that's
something to call cops for; and yet, "it was my fault" or at least that was
the comment I received when I tried to speak of (no, it wasn't at LGM). My
only weapon at that time were martial arts.

My point is that, to have a real solution, we need to attack each problem
individually, because if a drunk fellow tries to kiss you is not as bad as
someone trying to rape you. I do believe that there should be
punishment/scolding for everything, but as long as we/you/whoever define
the kind of assault, a list of actions to do and a list of people to
contact, we will have just a document that says "you can't do... whatever".
Over-protection isn't helpful either.

A simple recommendation from the point of view of a victim:

A.- Define a list of common harassment that occurs at conferences (there is
plenty of documentation)
B.- Define a small questionnaire to help understand the magnitude of the
assault, and simplify the actions to take.
C.- Something that was SUPER useful in previous events was to have an
"anti-bullies" team, which is simply a group of awesome/huge/strong daddies
at conferences that you can call for help.
D.- Local contact for police and laws depending on the location, for those
cases that get more serious.
E.- Names... if an assault gets to a point where it's not just a matter of
drinks but premeditated, **Name that person**. There is a reason why trials
are public, and a physical assault is not different than this.

A CoC is not just to protect women against an assault; our LBTS fellows,
religious ones and more are every single day attacked just because they/we
are different. A good CoC must have everyone on it to be accurate, and has
to be detailed on the actions to take against each situation. We cannot
judge everyone the same, but we need to take actions in order to have a
better society/community/event.

See ya.

> On 10 Apr 2014 19:55, "Tobias Ellinghaus" <houz at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >  two equal opponents
>
> That abstract concept is a fallacy. It's a mirage. It never occurs in
> reality.
>
> Power is always at play and has many forms. No opponents are equal, each
> of us has our strengths and weaknesses.
>
> Susan's email describes things she thinks should happen when people in our
> community see each other as opponents for a moment. This perspective is
> part of human nature and regularly occurs, despite our aspirations for
> peace and seeing the people around us as brothers and sisters.
>
> Therefore we need a structure for dealing with power, lest we suffer the
> tyranny of structurelessness where power is exercised unbound.
>
> I don't know what to do about what Susan described, nor am I much
> interested in further details. I didn't hear anything about this until
> Susan's email, and I don't care to: No further elaboration is necessary
> because that's the point, that without a CoC we will have no standard to
> judge how much should be done in public.
>
> If you don't have the power to know what happened but you want to, maybe
> you'll propose a CoC name accusers and accused. Maybe that's a good idea,
> maybe it's not. Susan deliberately worded email to not do it. Fine by me.
>
> The point is not this instance, the point is without a CoC, an endless
> variety of these incidents, resolved each in a circumstantial ad hoc way,
> and each instance forgotten only for its structure to be repeated.
>
> The silver lining then is that the CoC now has a test case which we can
> use to answer 'what should happen' in concrete detail, and which Susan has
> started enumerating for us.
>
> To the future.

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
Blog: http://tatica.org
Portfolio: http://tap.tatica.org
LinuxUser= 440285 GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56