[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:36:25 PDT 2014

> On 10 April 2014 20:08, Susan Spencer <susan.spencer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Attendees of a conference should have reasonable assurance of their
> safety.
>
> Right, and from the earlier messages on this thread, I understood that
> at LGM2014 this assurance would be found through the University
> ombudsman, who would be requested to lead the resolution of any
> conflicts that came up.
>
> What mystifies me is why no one involved in the ad hoc resolution of
> this on-site requested the help of the University ombudsman.

Hi Dave,

I can at least answer for myself here. To be very candid, I haven't even
thought we could ask for help at the University itself. When the event goes
on and when things happen, you end up in your own little world and think of
the people around you first.

However I can only guess that if we would have mentionned very clearly at
the beginning of the conference -- and on our website -- who to contact if
something happened, we would have gone to that person. The aprehended
language barrier may also have played a role, even if there was no evidence
at all that there would be such a barrier. Anyway, more publicity around
the kind of support we could have had received would have certainly helped.
Rethinking of that, I think it would have been a good idea.

In the food for thought, there are a couple more things to mention.

First, you don't come at a conference thinking there is going to be an
incident. Hence, there is a need to make sure all participants are aware
that that *can* happen. It's like security measures on board of a plane or
a boat, or around a swimming pool. If we are not aware of the danger, then
we cannot really react to it. And when we discover that THIS is dangerous,
it maybe well too late to react, or to react with the appropriate measures.

Number 2: time... Time flies... At some point in time the conference ends
and everyone goes home... However the damage is done and the consequences
will remain, outside the conference. At a certain point we have to face the
reality we're going to have to handle the case remotely. It's not easy at
all.

We are learning.

Louis