[CREATE] [OpenRaster spec] explicitly allow non-PNG layer data?

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 01:27:07 PDT 2014

On 27 July 2014 23:52, Andrew Chadwick <a.t.chadwick at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> I noticed that the OpenRaster specification doesn't really say anything
> about what can go in a layer's data file inside the ORA container, just
> that it has to be referenced by a <layer src=""/> somewhere. The only
> examples given are .png files.
>
> Is this enough? One of the important principles for OpenRaster is that
> stuff an app doesn't understand is preserved verbatim. That kind of
> pass-through preservation may cause clashes in the long run, but for layer
> data members it's pretty clear-cut: random SVGs, Oggs, videos, or Blender
> files may not have rendering support, or even any sort of pixel-sized 2-D
> rendering, but they should at least be passed through when saved.

As far as I know, all ORA supporting apps import ora by mapping it to the
applications internal document model, and then on export constructs a new
ora archive. Effectively discarding everything the app does not know how to
handle.
This would need to change to properly interoperate with unknown data. And
yes, I think this should be part of the spec, even if majority currently
fails...

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com