[CREATE] [Mypaint-discuss] Resolution information in ORA

Gez listas at ohweb.com.ar
Wed Feb 26 14:14:49 PST 2014

El mié, 26-02-2014 a las 17:05 +0000, Andrew Chadwick escribió:
> Ah yes. 72, my mistake. That's the ubiquitous default, and there are
> presumably reasons for its ubiquity.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/the-72-ppi-web-resolution-myth/

It's just an inherited default. The resolution only matters for physical
representations.
Since our monitors will show pixels at 1:1 ratio, the resolution of the
file won't matter for screens, unless the program offers a feature to
simulate the real-world size on screen, like GIMP does (but you need to
set your screen's resolution properly to make it work anyway).

Screen resolutions are moving targets. For instance, an old 17 inch CRT
monitor displaying 1280x1024 has more resolution than a large HD TV
set. :-)
There isn't a standard screen resolution. You have to know the physical
size of the screen and the how many pixels it shows.

And since resolution will matter mainly for printed outputs, I think it
would be better to default to a print standard instead of an obsolete
"screen" resolution.
When people want to print their artwork, they expect a good quality
print, not a pixelated blob (and that's what you get printing at 72 dpi)

300 dpi is a standard for professional print and a reasonable resolution
for high quality print in home/office printers.
If a default value has to be set, I think that a value that provides
good quality prints would be an improvement over the good ol' 72dpi.

Gez.