[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Andrew Chadwick a.t.chadwick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:40:51 PST 2014

Just to clarify, I also support having a code of conduct, as one who
is able to attend self-funded and probably wouldn't benefit directly
from it. Publishing one sends out one more message that the conference
is open to everyone to have fun at.

Python Software Foundation make publishing a code a requirement for
their sponsorship, and good for them. The linked one is suitably
minimalistic and practical and much is made optional: just delete
sections as appropriate. Interestingly it has emerging adoption in
areas outside regular tech conferences too.

Codes of conduct are mostly just "don't be obnoxious; listen, respect,
learn" written out in long form with some specifics about what's not
to be tolerated. Granted, they say what shouldn't need to be said and
are always written in the hope they don't have to be invoked; but they
also publicly state that the organizers care about what happens to
people at the conference and how welcome they feel.

What needs to be done to move this forwards speedily? My suggestion is
to take the GeekFeminism text and fit it to our needs, since the heavy
lifting has basically already been done. Having at it on github might
be a good plan.

--
Andrew Chadwick