[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Wed Jan 15 14:40:45 PST 2014

Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 11:07:48 PM, Jon wrote:

> Several has raised the concern that the geekfeminism-based is too
> negative and/or agressive by being focused on what wrong behavior is.
> Here are two alternative that are instead based on the positive values
> one expect people to hold:
> http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/
> http://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

The PSF one:  Open, Considerate, Respectful seems concise, clear, and
focuses on what to encourage rather than listing undesirable
behaviors.

It looks like a good model to adopt and it is CC0.

However, I'm also sensitive to the needs of the local organizers to
have such a policy added at the last minute and to pass review by
assorted levels of bureaucracy; with possible negatives of having the
policy refused, having some other policy mandated instead, or even of
having the hosting revoked due to a conflict with German or Saxon law.

It would have been different had this policy been in place when the
initial approach was made to Leipzig for conference hosting.

Since this policy is being added because we want to and consider it
just and merited, not at all to get some last minute extra funding
(right?) I would suggest discussing and proposing text continue, with
the aim of adding it to the *next* conference. That way, it becomes
part and parcel of the call for location.

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:chris at w3.org