[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Michael Schumacher schumaml at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 14:53:43 PST 2014

On 17.01.2014 19:07, Susan Spencer wrote:
> Hi Christoph,

Hi Susan,

> Well, I suppose that a Code of Conduct is meaningless without a plan to
> implement it.  No need for chaos and confusion and miscommunication to
> erupt if an incident occurs.  Having a process defined is always the
> most efficient way to handle any potential occurrence (this goes for
> running a convention as well as running a data center).  It's just
> logical and practical.  It's like having an emergency exit plan posted
> for use in the event of fire.  It's no good to figure out what to do,
> word it properly, and post it once a fire breaks out.

we do not need to do this on our own, because plans exist and had a lot
of effort put into them, and are explained as well.

For example, I'd be very happy if the LGM organizers follow advices like
those in http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Women-friendly_events (and
the articles linked from there) and implement the suggestions given there.

I like the emergency exit plan image Susan used above. You may not need
it even just once in your whole life, but if you suddenly do, you will
be very glad that it is there and that you even remember some of it
without even trying to.

In general, I found http://geekfeminism.wikia.com to be an invaluable
resource, both to adjust my own behavior and learn about challenges I
never thought possible.

P.S. I'm part of a community that has an entry in Geekfeminism's
Timeline of Incidents; I was partly involved in that incident myself
(not perp, but cared too little and even had stayed on not rather good
terms with the perp for too long) and I think that it took us rather
long to solve this. If we have, I'm not sure if it is up to me to decide.

I definitely do not want LGM to appear there ever, and especially not in
a way that shows the organizers to have been unprepared. NB: I do not
know if they weren't already prepared at previous LGMs, because I didn't
have to test this and may never have to; I'm a white male and play life
on easy.

Addendum:

By arranging for the sponsoring of part of LGM, I feel a certain
responsibility to make sure that everyone feels good there.

Remember the party at Madrid last year? It was pleasing to learn that
the location is in a nice neighborhood, that the location itself, the
bartenders and the security guard ("sorry, you may not take your beer
outside. but just put it inside the doorstep, that'll be ok") were nice,
and that each and everyone was happy there.
Nevertheless, I scanned the relevant blogs for some time after the
event, to make sure that if anything I wasn't aware of popped up, I'd be
able to react asap. NB: if something did pop up, I haven't noticed it.

After all, I have to (at least, am strongly encouraged to) write reports
about the sponsored social events at LGM (and I learned that you rather
not try to be funny in those reports, but stick to the facts), because
the people who handle our money for us care about reputation and their
partial 501(c)(3) status. And I fully agree with their requirement.

--
Regards,
Michael