[CREATE] Last round of comments: LGM Code of Conduct

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Mon May 19 03:05:30 PDT 2014

Dear all,

Below is the proposed text for the Libre Graphics Meeting Code of Conduct.

It has been written after several discussions and meetings. Please read carefully and if you have any last comments, we'd like to hear before Monday 26 May 23:00 CEST preferably by way of a suggestion on this page: http://piratepad.net/draftcoc

After May 26th May, the document will be published on the LGM websites and be in function for the upcoming meeting. In June we'll write an organisers guide to complement the CoC. The CoC and organisers guide will be evaluated and if necessary updated after the 2015 meeting in Toronto.

Thank you all so far for your constructive contributions,

ginger coons, Steve Conklin, Jon Nordby, Femke Snelting, Susan Spencer, Chris Lilley, Michael Schumacher

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*Libre Graphics Meeting - Code of Conduct*

Since it's early beginnings in 2006, the Libre Graphics Meeting has been a melting pot where free software developers, practitioners and artists from all over the world have a chance to meet each other, exchange ideas, and plan the future of Free, Libre and Open Source graphics. The meeting is all about participation: free to attend, it is open to all.

We intend the Libre Graphics Meeting to be an event that inspires mutual respect, collaboration and exchange. The Libre Graphics Meeting Code of Conduct states our shared ideas about the desired behaviour of participants and organisers. This document is about conduct at the actual meeting, (including related social events, presentations and workshops), communication on the LGM mailing lists and IRC channels.

The Libre Graphics community is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all participants, regardless of, for example: ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, appearance, impairment, religion, or technical ability.

We accept that people have differences of opinion, that they communicate those in various ways, and that social norms may vary across cultures.  Sometimes the impact our behaviour has on others isn't immediately apparent to us. Participants should speak openly and courteously with each other when they see, experience or speak about conduct that might be unwelcome.

Misunderstandings do sometimes occur, and people should be able to work things out between themselves whenever possible, in a courteous and respectful manner. They may seek the advice of a mutually trusted third party.

Harassment is not tolerated in any form. No matter who you are, if you feel threatened or violated as a result of intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning conduct, or witness such behaviour, please immediately notify the contact person(s).

In case you think these things do not happen: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_incidents

To achieve the goals of the Code of Conduct, the organizers of the Libre Graphics Meeting:

-Will check before the selection of a location is made, if local laws are compatible with the CoC.
- Will appoint dedicated contact persons, preferably from the local organizing team. Their names and contact details will be published on the LGM website before the event.
- Will follow up on each issue brought to the attention of the contact person(s). This includes communicating with involved parties about further steps.

The contact person(s) will take appropriate measures when necessary, such as removing someone from the premises or channel.

*Purpose of the Code of Conduct document*

- For Participants: Feel safe. Participants know that if we experience something that we are not comfortable with, our concerns will be taken seriously - and that help is available.
- For Organisers: Feel sure. Organisers know the standard to which the LGM community holds itself, and what to do when an issue arises.