[CREATE] libmypaint: translations needed!

Andrew Chadwick a.t.chadwick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 04:03:32 PDT 2015

MyPaint is well on its way to feature and string freeze, but we
mustn't leave libmypaint in a poorly translated state.

Short form: please help translate MyPaint:
https://hosted.weblate.org/engage/mypaint/

Long form: I've set up a hub for translating MyPaint-related projects
on WebLate, an online translation tool[1] that anyone can log into
with a facebook, google or github account (or a local one, or others
beside). It ticks all the boxes I've though of - comments, contexts
visible when translating, the ability to contribute suggestions, tight
integration with github - and I'm really happy with what I've seen so
far. Currently only libmypaint is integrated (it's pretty much stable
already), but I am hoping that MyPaint itself can join it shortly.

If you're fluent in a language other than English, or know a
FOSS-friendly person who is, you can help out with the translation
effort. Please share the link above as widely as you can, or dive in
yourself and start translating brush setting texts. It's a
surprisingly simple workflow: you translate program texts one at a
time resolving any discrepancies and correcting problems the system
has discovered. Each text has a link back to the source code too, if
you want to see where it was set up. At the end of translating into
your language you get a nice fully green progress bar, a glowing sense
of satisfaction, and your email address in the commit log :D

The advantage to the MyPaint project of using a system like WebLate is
the ability to continuously integrate and update translations. Having
a side-by-side comparison of all the languages doesn't hurt either -
plus we get another shiny github badge for the project.

If you have the inclination to help out and good language skills, we'd
really appreciate your assistance. Helping to translate a project is a
really great way of learning about how it works internally, and it's
one of the easiest and most effective ways of getting involved in the
Free/Open Source culture and putting great software into people's
hands, worldwide.

[1] Kindly hosted for us by its developer, Michal Čihař, free for FOSS
projects upon review.

--
Andrew Chadwick