[CREATE] [opentype] goals and repos

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Thu May 21 10:51:45 PDT 2015

For those who are interested in following the progress of our
opensource-opentype effort, I went ahead and created a GitHub
"organization" at https://github.com/opensource-opentype

GitHub orgs are basically the same as 'corporate' accounts (but they're
free for FOSS projects).  Meaning they have a membership and the members
can create multiple repositories underneath the org's hierarchy.

The next question I thought about was what repos to create.  My thinking is
that, at the "end" of the process, we want to have several things:
- UI / UX best-practices and guides
- Some technical docs to assist implementers (current and future) with the
non-UI portions of the stack. Perhaps sample code, perhaps just pointing
people to the right code elsewhere
- Some reference documentation that records our thoughts and processes,
particularly things like how we interpret the OpenType feature descriptions
(which was the subject of a lot of talk at the LGM workshop)

I know there are grey areas and overlaps in that set, but it's a rough
sketch.  I think those are, at least, three sides of the equation that may
be making progress on separate fronts.  E.g., Peter's notes about UX
research are not *part of* a guide to how HarfBuzz and Pango provide hooks
to get at font features.  Perhaps, then, that's a good guide for setting up
repos in the present.

So my idea would be to, for now, start three repositories: UI, feature
reference, and feature access code.

Does that breakdown sound reasonable?  What am I forgetting?

Thanks,
Nate
PS - also, please tell me (or Dave or Behdad, currently) your GitHub
username if you want to be added to the org.  It's no problem.
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com <http://identi.ca/n8>