[CREATE] otf•UI product vision, warm off the press...

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Sep 21 20:13:30 PDT 2015

On Sep 21, 2015 8:56 PM, "Gregory Pittman" <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> >> Hmm. Maybe out of scope. But... There are a heap of conversions that a
smart rich text editor is likely to do, eg change quote " to curly quotes,
minus - to en/em dash, 3 periods ... to ellipsis, etc etc, which depend on
the encoded glyphs being present in the font.

> >> This relates to OT because, like OT, different languages have
different typographic conventions, which OT can respond to also, so " may
become《 instead, if the script/lang is Latin/French.

> >> There are also some case responsive OT features which manual
letter-spacing could collide with, being designed by the font developer for
default letter spacing.

> > I realise this gets tricky, fast. it would be only about
> > switching otf, not subbing char codes.
> >
> > if any of these guidelines are not clear-cut, then it is better to
> > leave it out. they do address however the “without the need to
> > obtain openType/typographical domain knowledge” part for developers.
> >

> Scribus has not been one of the smart text editors, but there are
> scripting methods, such as a couple I wrote, Autoquote.py and
> en+emdash.py, which make these conversions.
>
> I expect there will need to be some expansion of the font detection area
> looking for special OTF features, and perhaps even allow scripts to be
> aware of these things.

Yep those scripts are perfect for advancing with harfbuzz methods if they
are available to scribuses scripting environment