[CREATE] freieFarbe/freeColour HLC colour system to be accepted as a national standard for "Open Colour Communication" in Germany

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:32:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:17 PM Jehan Pagès wrote:

Though I still think it is a very cool news, I actually join
> Alexandre's questions above.

Frankly, the DIN news covers most of the concerns I've had about
FreeColour/freieFarbe since its inception.

I'm still unsure about the potential market penetration, because, as far as
I can tell, businesses don't have to make a switch unless they do a
government job, and switching to a cheaper solution implies a lot of
showcases all around (the "better safe than sorry" mindset).

At this point there is no telling if the FreeColour matching system is more
reliable than PMS. The broad market hasn't seen the prototype yet. And IMO,
that's the most intriguing part.

> So my question is: from your LCH representation, can you ensure the

creation of an ink so that 2 unrelated people could create the same
> color?

If it does work reliably, it removes part of the "black box" effect that
PMS has on the industry. Which would be quite good already. That said,
reliability depends a lot on the print shop. There would be a long
transition period.

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is being hostile towards
Pantone or telling they got no real color matching system (they are big
boys, they can take care of themselves). If it takes a few more years to
showcase a real print run of 100K copies of anything in full color and
metallic inks, all done with Scribus and spot colors from FreeColour, then
so be it. The market will decide for itself.

Alex