[CREATE] Scribus 1.5.3 released

farid abdelnour snd.noise at gmail.com
Wed May 31 16:36:52 UTC 2017

Hi Christoph

Congrats on the great release, it brings many things we've wanted for
years. :)

As soon as we can build it in Archlinux [1] we'll switch to it as our daily
driver.

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/scribusproject/scribus/issues/89

> The Scribus Team is proud to announce the release of development release
> 1.5.3, another major step on the way to Scribus 1.6.0.
> In addition to being a milestone in terms of typographic features, the
> Scribus Team is convinced that 1.5.3 has become stable enough to be used in
> new workflows and documents in a similar way to the transition from 1.3.3.x
> to 1.4.0 after the release of version 1.3.6. However, care must be taken,
> because this is still a development release.
> Scribus 1.5.3 is very fast and has been thoroughly tested. Generally,
> everything that works reliably in 1.4.x also works in 1.5.3, but it's
> faster and more versatile. On top of that, it includes additional and
> already overwhelmingly reliant features galore.
>
> Most Important Changes
> ======================
> - The most important change isn't immediately visible, namely a completely
> rewritten text layout engine, which supports complex scripts like Arabic,
> Hindi or Thai, as well as providing access to advanced OpenType features,
> such as ligatures and alternate glyphs.
> - Altogether, about 500 languages and/or scripts are supported. Please
> note that as of version 1.5.3, Scribus is supposed to render these diverse
> writing systems, which still needs thorough testing by those who are
> familiar with them.
> - Typing on the canvas and text rendering in general has become a lot
> faster.
> - Previews for fonts are now available in font selectors.
> - The "Text" tab has been removed from the Properties Palette and is now a
> separate UI palette.
> - The performance of copying and pasting objects in/from/to files with
> huge color palettes has been vastly improved.
> - An import filter for Krita's KRA format has been added.
> - Scribus now follows the XDG standard for configuration files. Therefore,
> the Scribus preferences directory has moved from ~/.scribus/ to a new
> default location: ~/.config/scribus/
> - Color selectors display the color values as a tooltip.
> - A longstanding problem with the launch option for an external image
> editing program has been resolved. Until version 1.5.3 it was necessary to
> manually close the external program before it could be started again from
> within Scribus. This is no longer necessary.
> - The "Wikipedia RAL Classic" color palette has been updated, this time
> using Wikipedia's LAB color values.
> - A script called "Caption" has been included, which adds a text frame to
> an image frame, based on the latter's proportions.
> - The "Autoquote" scripts now supports inverted guillemets via the "de-g"
> parameter.
> - Code improvements have been made based on recommendations from using
> both the Coverity scan tool (https://scan.coverity.com/) and the "clazy"
> tool (https://github.com/KDE/clazy). These changes improved efficiency,
> removed bugs and improved security.
> [...]

1111.1010.r.i.1101|n.o.i.s.1110|i.m.1010.g.1110|مقاومة
fsf member #5439
usuario GNU/Linux #471966
|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|