[CREATE] Openraster format spec text/svg specification and general needs

InkLab App inklabapp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:18:55 UTC 2019

Good Evening All,

I was happy to attend my first Krita general meeting earlier today and
speak to some of the nice folk there. After some general questions I had
regarding the openraster specification I was directed that the relevant
details might not be discussed until the Libre graphics meeting but that I
could try here in the meantime. As I am from across the pond it is
difficult for me to attend in short order but I hope to be able to one day.
:)

For my side project I am very interested in defining and heavily using a
raster interchange format that is, for lack of a better description, better
than PSD. My main background is as a python and javascript developer so my
first forays into the project have been to start writing some APIs for
openraster for those languages. I have published one of them on Pypi (I can
link if anyone asks) and I am actively developing the other.  However, I am
interested in providing whatever technical help is needed to make the
specification better overall.

One after reading the information on openraster.org, one specific point
that came to mind was the definition of text layers. After speaking to some
of the Krita folks, it seemed like a nice goal would be to just integrate
<svg> based layers instead of specific <text> layers. This gives the great
option of supporting both raster and vector graphics in general, and in the
current structure, Because all layer data is stored as raster by default
(under /data) a full svg renderer is not required by programs to simply
preview the files, they could just fall back to the raster rendering, and
add SVG support as they go. Just some initial thoughts after the
discussion, but I Assume many here have been on the scene much longer so I
would love to hear some feedback.

Sorry for the text wall and again please let me know how I can contribute
to this effort!

Thanks,
-Paul