[CREATE] ORA topic presentation for Online LGM 2020

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun May 17 08:37:42 UTC 2020

On zaterdag 16 mei 2020 20:09:26 CEST Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> It used to be a long-term archival file format.

The archival thing was never my or Cyrille's idea. We wanted an easy to implement interchange file format that would replace PSD as the format everyone falls back to when exchanging files between applications. Most of the links in my original blog post (https://valdyas.org/fading/software/openraster/) are dead now, of course... I think the archival idea originally came from Pippin, but I'm not 100% sure.

> Then suddenly it turned out
> to be a somewhat convenient file format for basic multi-layer project data
> exchange between applications (Krita, GIMP, and MyPaint were first to
> implement support for it, I think).

And literally the first sentence on https://www.openraster.org/ is "OpenRaster is file format specification for the exchange of layered raster images between image editors."

As for "archival" -- that's been "under discussion" for ages, and it never went anywhere.

> At some point, Krita started pushing it forward with new features in their
> own namespace (extra blending modes). Other projects haven't followed suit
> yet, as far as I can tell.

And MyPaint -- MyPaint took ORA as their native file format at some point and started adding things.

--
https://www.krita.org