D-BUS enabled GConf available

Mikael Hallendal micke@imendio.com
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:03:49 +0100

mån 2003-12-08 klockan 23.57 skrev Michael Meeks:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 23:27, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > * The CORBA-version has always had a problem with not dying together
> >   with the session (still doesn't) which means you have problems if you
> >   login from several locations (for example in a thin client setup).
>
> 	Well; the odd thing is - we have a client using umpteen thin clients in
> anger; they have a 'blade' setup, whereby eg. they run evolution on 1
> blade, galeon on another, nautilus on another - and (I assume) this
> rather relies on GConf's network transparency in order to keep settings
> coherent.[1]
>
> 	So - I guess, my question is - will D/BUS give us network transparency
> / X-protocol piggybacking anytime soon ? and/or will they just get
> screwed ?

First, this is not the default GConf IPC mechanism, so noone is screwed.

I'm not entirely on the clear with how the setup you described works but
there is a network transport in D-BUS that lets you connect to a bus on
another machine. Currently the auth-mechanism doesn't fully support this
but it will in the future. So it should be possible to set things up the
same way as you would in the current solution. (unless I'm
missunderstanding how the client had things setup).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal               micke@imendio.com