Roadmap?

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
14 Oct 2003 10:45:21 -0400

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 08:45, David Zeuthen wrote:

> So simply giving people the IDL for your app is going to be sufficient
> in most cases, yes?

Right.

> Which means, in the context of hal, libhal is not useful for glib, Qt
> and python programs. Such programs simply just access the device objects
> and a single object at "/" for getting the device objects. Very useful.

libhal may or may not be useful. For example it might be useful
basically as an implementation of a local cache of the device list and
each device's properties, to avoid a bunch of remote round trips.

You may want to make each device object an actual object, either with
arbitrary names or in some kind of meaningful tree:

 /org/freedesktop/hal/devices/
     001
     002
     003

or:

 /org/freedesktop/hal/devices/
     printers/
       001
       002
     batteries/
       001
       002

Or perhaps instead of 001/002 something that won't change as devices
come and go; perhaps base the name on some unique device features,
maybe "orinoco-pcmcia-001" or something.

I wouldn't use "/" because you may want to add other stuff someday.

> Unless object discovery (e.g. give me all objects from service Foo
> implementing the org.blah.Bar interface) is supported?

You're free to implement such a method. It isn't in libdbus because it
would require registering all objects in a central repository and the
decision was to avoid that bloat.

> (Sorry for all these questions, I'm simply trying to grasp how the final
> dbus will look like..)

Me too ;-) doc/TODO has a list of likely changes.

Havoc