test suite failure - more detail ...

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 07:51:54 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 13:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 08:10, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
> >
> > Yes, except dbus_gproxy_new_for_service_owner doesn't do anything
> > right now and I'n not sure how it should be implemented. The
> > documentation mentions "making a round-trip request to the message bus
> > to get the current service owner" ; but what message should the client
> > send ? shouldn't there be some standardized message for this ?
>
> Basically the bus should support a method GetServiceOwner I think.

To clarify a bit more, a round trip may not always be required; the
client should have a set of services that it's tracking the owner for.
When it adds a service to this set, it has to query with GetServiceOwner
(or alternately, it may know because it itself is the current owner).
After that, it can track the owner async by listening for owner change
signals.

If you call new_for_service_owner() the second time for the same
service, the client would already know the service owner since it's
being tracked, and no round trip is needed.

Signal emission messages always have the unique service (e.g. :1.1) as
the sender, so it should be possible to map that to each well-known
service name (org.whatever) that this unique service owns.