Introductions and what need to be done

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 13:59:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 12:10, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A bit of introduction is in order.  My name is John Palmieri aka J5.  I
> recently joined Red Hat and am interested in helping out with dbus
> development.
>
> I took a look at the TODO and the mailing list archives.  I was
> wondering what items are most pressing to be completed.  In other words
> where can I help?

Here are some that might be good starting projects because they are
relatively straightforward:

 - the invalid messages in the test suite are all useless because
   they are invalid for the wrong reasons due to protocol changes.
   (Consider extending test suite to validate that they are
   invalid for right reason, e.g. an "INVALID_ERROR Foo" line
   in the message files)

 - the max_replies_per_connection resource limit isn't implemented

 - the varargs dbus_message_get_args() needs to support OBJECT_PATH
   and OBJECT_PATH_ARRAY

 - the auth protocol may as well use hex encoding instead of
   base64, then we can dump the base64 implementation and
   save some bloat.

 - rename HEADER_FIELD_SERVICE -> HEADER_FIELD_DESTINATION
   and HEADER_FIELD_SENDER_SERVICE -> HEADER_FIELD_SENDER
   for both dbus-protocol.h and in the spec

The most important tasks in there are probably all the marshaling and
protocol related changes. Finalizing the protocol is essential for 1.0.

A lot of the TODO items really involve doing some research and thinking
and posting it to the list, to drive forward some technical judgment
calls.

Probably the recursive types, structs, custom types, etc. threads need
to be summarized so we can see where we stand on that.