naive question ...

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Apr 28 00:48:58 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 10:41, Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Well HAL  (http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal for those people who
> like me were maybe wondering where it could be found) seems to be only
> for 2.6 kernels so that's no option.

Currenly only for 2.6 kernels; it's intended to work anywhere that
OS-specific bits are written.  So that HAL-using apps can run on BSD,
Solaris, whatever.  Just needs porting.  But that's rather off topic
here, I guess.  ;-)

> Besides the fact that I think that small example that show off how
> dbus works should be found _here_ instead of having to look around
> (and look _hard_!)  to find them.
>
> It seems to be pretty hard to to just say: want to use dbus? Well just
> take a look at <this code> to get an idea or: just insert <this code>
> into your application as a simple starting point.

There are examples in the D-BUS tarball, IIRC.

> Please don't take this as criticism, I wouldn't mind writing a couple
> of simple examples myself if I would only understand how everything
> works. It's just that, while I know dbus isn't used yet by a large
> group of people, there _must_ be somebody out there that has written
> code that he thinks could help other people understand more how things
> work!

The documentation could use some work...  If you want to write a
tutorial, that would be great.  :)  Just remember that until 1.0 is
released, nothing says the API won't change.  This is probably one
reason that nobody has put a lot of time into a tutorial yet...

> Cheers,
>  -Tako

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.