that you need a user messagebus is not mentioned in README

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed Aug 4 06:36:38 PDT 2004

Olivier Andrieu wrote:
> it *crashes* or it *exits* ?
>
> There's no error because once the daemon has forked, standard file
> descriptors are closed (redirected to /dev/null). Use the variable
> DBUS_DEBUG_OUTPUT to prevent that, or remove the <fork/> from the
> config file.

It exits, but quietly and seemingly without reason.

I once tried to add a proper error message, but there was no way to get
around the null redirection and not mess other things up.

My suggestion is that prior to forking, a check for the user messagebus
(or whatever the config file specifies) is performed. At this stage,
STDERR can still be shown to the user.

Is there a simple function for checking for the existence of a user?

--Pat