dbus-daemon-1 --system seems to crash

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Aug 4 12:05:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:49 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:23 +0000, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> > Are there known problems with dbus 0.21?
> > Because it seems to crash with --system
> > if I start dbus-daemon-1 --system
> > ps shows no dbus-daemon-1 process running
> > and if I try to run dbus-daemon-1 again, it complaints that pid file
> > already exists
> > can I enable debug or something?
>
> yes, debugging dbus is a little tricky, but it will probably tell you
> exactly why it isn't starting up.  This is how I debug dbus, maybe
> someone else has a slightly cleaner system.  This is all done as root,
> just to be clear.
>
> First backup your system.conf file [*]
> 	cp /etc/dbus-1/system.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.bak
>
> Edit the system.conf file to remove this section
> 	<!-- Fork into daemon mode -->
> 	<fork/>

Yes, I'm doing this all the time, but it's really bad if you have
forgotten it to revert, and the init script hangs forever on bootup.
And every make install overwrites the edited version :(

Wouldn't it be nice to have a command line option instead, so the
initscript can issue 'dbus-daemon-1 --system --fork' and it will always
work? 'fork=yes|no' may also be a option to overwrite the one in the
config file.

Kay