unknown method AddMatch

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Aug 8 20:41:34 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 17:16, Olivier Andrieu wrote:

> Ah yes, it's a method call, it wasn't filtered and there are no handlers
> registered, so dbus_connection_dispatch() generates this error. Maybe
> it should check whether the message's destination is the actual
> connection and not generate the error in case of eavesdropping.

How are we going to know that though?

>  > This patch seems to fix it.  I'm not entirely sure if it's the
>  > correct fix.
>
> I'd say yes.

Seems OK for dbus-monitor, it would be broken though if monitor-type
functionality were in the same process as other handlers (because
instead of just snooping without side effect, we'd keep the message from
going to its handler)

So while this fix may work (and in the dbus-monitor case even make some
sense conceptually), before applying it - can anyone think of a way to
fix the root cause of the problem? i.e. implement "do not generate the
error when eavesdropping"?

The only ways I can think of involve modifying the message to flag it as
eavesdropped, which is quite hard in the current dbus-daemon
implementation.