unconfigurable limits

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 21:17:56 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 19:47, Kay Sievers wrote:
> The hal-device-manager the python application using D-BUS is still
> unusable, cause of the hard coded D-BUS limits.
> Another limit reaching part of HAL simply removed D-BUS and
> communicates now by its own domain socket, for that reason.
>
> What is the proper fix for that. After reading the list I only know,
> what not to do.

Well, question 1 is: are you reaching the limit because you have a lot
of legitimate match rules (128 is the current limit it looks like), or
because you have a bug and are leaking match rules.

If you have 128 for a good reason then we should probably just bump up
the limit. How many do you need?

It is certainly configurable, btw, afaik at least. See man page. You can
use this to experiment and see how high the limit needs to be ;-)

> Btw: I've updated the "Get on the D-BUS" picture :)
>   http://vrfy.org/projects/dbus/D-BUS-limit.jpg

Ha! ;-)