Service files in lib/datadir

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Dec 20 13:32:16 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:09, Richard Hult wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> >>They point to an executable which isn't shareable, which I think means
> >>that you need different service files for different machines that share
> >>the same /usr/share directory.
> >

> > 	I don't understand that - how are the executables not shareable? How
> > are .service files different from .desktop files in that respect?
>
> Hm, right. I'm probably confused to what shareable means. If you need
> different executables, I guess you'd just put them in the same path on
> any shared boxes and it would just work (or put them anywhere if a
> relative path is used in the service file).
>
> >>I'm not sure if that's a problem, I'm more concerned with the location
> >>being changed if not necessary.
> >

> > 	Sure, but it sounds to me like .service files don't contain platform
> > specific data, and on that grounds do actually belong in $(datadir). Now
> > is the time to fix stuff like that.
>
> Agreed, if there are no problems it would be good to fix this sooner
> rather than later, even if it is a bit of an annoyance for stuff that
> already uses dbus.
>
> /Richard

So consensus is to keep the patch in?  Sounds good to me.  One other
point is that I want to extend activation to the system bus through a
separate server that runs as root.  Would it be smart now that we are on
this subject to add a session directory to the services directory and
use that for session bus activation?  This is just for the future so it
doesn't get confusing.

--
J5