Activation: b-a-s problems.

Richard Hult richard@imendio.com
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:00:20 +0100

tis 2004-01-06 klockan 10.25 skrev Michael Meeks:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 23:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> >  3. For now we just dictate that you have to use the same language for
> >     the whole session (seems more feasible in a Unicode age)
>
> 	This is essentially the decision that people complain about; although
> it is clearly highly attractive; they also want the full set of LC_*
> behavior.

Changing the LC_* behavior is indeed the part that would be useful to
have. For example if I need to print a document and send to an English
speaking person, I wouldn't want to log out, change the locale from
Swedish to English, log back in, print, log out/in again. All this just
to get a point as decimal separator instead of a comma.

But should we really handle this at activation time? LC_* behavior
(minus LC_MESSAGES) should be possible to change on the fly. It would
take some fixing in apps, but at least it's should be mostly gruntwork
(listen to gconf/xsetting/whatever, regenerate strings, update display,
etc). I'm not sure it's a good idea but it's an alternative.

Supporting more than one message language per session sounds somewhat
useless to me though. The only case I can imagine it would be useful is
when working around broken or old apps that can't cope with, say, a
UTF-8 locale. But those apps would be legacy apps and wouldn't involve
dbus activation and could be just started with any locale.

/Richard

--
Richard Hult                    richard@imendio.com
Imendio                         http://www.imendio.com