Activation: b-a-s problems.

Mikael Hallendal micke@imendio.com
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:12:28 +0100

tor 2004-01-08 klockan 12.08 skrev Mark McLoughlin:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:55, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
>
> > This is not really what was discussed here. It was whether to launch a
> > new Mozilla window with other LANG-settings if there was a mozilla
> > window running already.
> >
> > Ie. you start Mozilla as you use to which sets it to some locale, lets
> > say en_US for now. Then if you need to take a screenshot you do
> > "LANG=zh_TW mozilla file:///..." which should give you a new window.
> > Currently it gives you a new window by sending a message to the already
> > running Mozilla process. The question is whether that process should be
> > considered to be the same service as you want since it runs in another
> > LANG.
> >
> > So you wouldn't have to log out, just quit mozilla and restart it with
> > another language settings (same for your editor example above).
>
> 	How about if you had a little component on your desktop background
> which was using mozilla to render a little web page or something. You
> should have to delete that first?
>
> 	Quibbling at this level over use cases is probably not the best way to
> do this - its like taking a metaphor and analyzing it to death.

Hmm .. I was thinking that maybe this shouldn't be handled by the bus
itself. If you need to have applications that needs to be started again
with another set of environment variables it can be handled by a factory
service.

So for example, if you have GEdit that should care about locale you ask
for a GEditFactory service and then ask that service for a GEdit object
with a certain locale. The factory checks if any such process is
running, if it is it gives a reference to that, otherwise it spawns a
new process.

This part could be implemented in GnomeProgram and KApplication (is that
the name?) so that you don't need to implement it in every application.

This will keep the bus simple as was one of the design goals and also
gives every app the possibility to override this functionality (ie.
GConf should only have one daemon running).

How does that sound?

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--