dbus python working? "Unable to determine the address of the message bus"

Jeff Bowden jlb@houseofdistraction.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:36:58 -0800

Havoc Pennington wrote:

>To locate the session bus there's an env variable that has to be set;
>one of the man pages should discuss, see also "man dbus-launch".

Ah.  That one is in dbus-1-utils, an auxilliary package.

Hmmm, this must be one of the rough edges of dbus.   So I created a
.xsession and .Xclients and tried both of the fragments from the manpage
but none of them seem to be executed when I login.  I'm using gdm/Gnome
so maybe it has some other mechanism for startup?   I considered adding
it to ~/.gnome2/session-manual but I'm pretty sure there's no way for
globally available environment variables to get set in there.

I'm out of ideas for where to look.