Accessing remote devices

Michael Meeks michael@ximian.com
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:19:27 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 23:56 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 16:49, Marco Canini wrote:
> > Take care of figuring out what's the real role of d-bus for the future
> > and don't reinvent the wheel.
>
> Heh, I think you'll have Michael pretty annoyed with that comment ;-)
> D-BUS is pretty clearly the newcomer system here.

	Whatever - it doesn't much matter on what basis the decisions are made
- lets roll a dice, consult the delphic oracle or whatever - but we do
need a coherent and workable plan for remote device access; and what I'm
100% against is spending yet more years of our lives, and wasting
thousands of man-hours working against others un-disclosed opposition,
divided by a common goal.

	In other words: I want to know what the plans are for D/BUS - and/or
whether it can be adapted for hard-core 1-2-1 device-level API stuff; or
whether it's better to go with some other IPC - and if so, what it
should be and how we can get there. Having a coherent plan (for at least
Gnome) here, and some level of consensus is really a prerequisite for
doing anything.

	So - I'm hoping for some insight into where people plan to go with
this / what their thoughts are so we can at least agree to go somewhere
instead of sitting on our hands :-)

	Regards,

		Michael.

--