User authentication to services

Rob Taylor robtaylor at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 1 22:59:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:17:00 -0400, "Havoc Pennington" <hp at redhat.com>
said:
> If you wanted to implement this, essentially you would add another
> method supported by org.freedesktop.DBus in
> bus/driver.c:bus_driver_handle_message(). To get the uid to return as
> the property value, you would use dbus_connection_get_unix_user().
>
> The GetProperties() implementation would look pretty similar to
> bus_driver_handle_get_service_owner() in that it looks up a service,
> then returns some info about it.

Ok. started implenting this and am pretty far in, but i have a problem
with uids in that dbus represents them internally as unsigned longs, and
if i expose these on dbus we'll have problems on mixed 32/64
archictectures. I'm pretty certain that uid_t should be a 32 bit entitiy
on both IAP32 and LP64, and if anyone knows this for certain i'll patch
it up. If not, i've just subscribed to testdrive.hp.com so i'll just test
it myself. if uid_t is really 64 bits on LP64, i'll just cast up, but i
think this set of affairs would be pretty strange..

Rob Taylor