D/BUS IDL compiler ...

Marco Canini marco.canini@fastwebnet.it
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:27:56 +0100

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 12:03, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 09:33 +0200, Carlos.Guerreiro@nokia.com wrote:
> > Looks like Meeks is working on the IDL already ;)
>
> 	;-) although not so hard. Ultimately, I'm persuaded we have to have IDL
> as the authoritative, standard contract definitions, rather than parsing
> C headers (and/or perl,python,-whatever language the service is
> implemented in- to try and extract interface data / documentation from
> that).
I agree with you Michael,
the very first objective of a remote invocation framework is to define a
single format for exposing the interface.
That has to be language independent and mapped to specific language in a
second step.
IMHO RPC, CORBA and other successful IPC technologies are inspired by
the principle of design by contract theorized here
http://archive.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/ (to be honest
a part of it)
Thinking at it now that it's time to make decisions it could make sense
to add a form of preconditions to IDL (just a thought).

--
Marco Canini <marco.canini@fastwebnet.it>