Mono bindings

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Mar 20 19:47:39 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 12:53, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > My thought for Mono was to assume the GLib main loop and all that since
> > Mono uses GLib anyhow.
>
> Careful here.
>
> We use glib, but for things like GHashTable, GList and GString.
>
> Mono itself does not use the GLib main loop in any form.
>
> Gtk# on the other hand uses the Glib main loop.

Right, I guess what I mean is - to use dbus you often want to use some
main loop (though you can also just block in threads), and the GLib one
is the obvious one to use with mono, especially since many mono
developers will be using gtk# and mono already links to glib.

Owen - I don't think it makes sense to write a main loop specific to
your Mono bindings, really... very few apps will want to use a custom
main loop created just for the dbus/mono bindings, since a mainloop
impacts the whole application. If people aren't using a main loop that
already exists, they will probably want to just block and use threads.