about signals

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Fri May 28 13:00:33 PDT 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> 3. finish the bindings so "the way it's supposed to work"
>    is clear; the idea is that the binding APIs use the native
>    language concepts of object, interface, and signal.
>
>    e.g. you should not see the "sender" from the DBusMessage when
>    using a binding, instead you should see the proxy object and the
>    message args. And you can even call proxy.get_well_known_service()
>    if the proxy was bound to a well-known service.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at finishing the Qt bindings although like
I said before on this list my knowledge of Qt and even Linux programming
is still quite limited. The only thing I can bring to the table is years
of software engineering experience and the wish for finished Qt bindings.

The Qt stuff I can pick up myself but I _would_ like a more thorough
understanding of what you think the binding should look like, not
talking about implementation details ofcourse but rather the ideas
behind them. Is there a document already that talks about these kind of
(design) ideas or is this something that is still vague?

I see for example that the Mono bindings seem much more defined already
than the Qt bindings, does this mean I could take a look at its design
and try to implement something similar? Or is its design still not what
you had in mind?

Cheers,
-Tako